Sunday 1 February 2009

Fresh

I'm sitting writing this surrounded by freshly painted walls and ceilings.
Hooray!!!!!!!!!
It took double the time I expected it to
(the last lick of paint went on the day before I went back to work),
the process felt hellish at the start ~
when it became apparent just how much bigger a job it was than I had first thought,
but
I am soooooo glad I've done it now that it's over.

So, for those of you who have asked,
here's a close up of the french washed wall
(which has more ochre in it than shows up in the photo):




and a shot of the other feature wall:



which, again, doesn't really capture its cafe~au~lait colour
but does show, in the reflection, my pristine white ceiling and cornices
of which I am ridiculously proud!
I'll try and post more photographs, that give a broader picture of what I've done, soon.

Life hasn't been completely dominated by renovations.
In between painting there's been some cooking.
I've been going through a Nigella Lawson phase and have made her One Pan Sage and Onion Chicken and Sausage casserole:

This, by the way, was at it's best on the third day after I'd cooked it, when the flavours had been given lots of time to develop.

I've also made Nigella's Pomegranate Meringue Mountain
which was so quick and delicious I was inspired to go out and buy my own potted pomegranate tree:


There's been a little bit of crocheting too.
I've added a few extra rows to the border of my Easy Daisy blanket:


I'm so happy I have time to craft again!

...and yesterday, with all the painting done, I was able to wander around the garden with my camera in hand:




Despite the steamy heat, it was bliss!

I hope that life
is treating you kindly too,
wherever you are in the world.

Have a wonderful week.






10 comments:

Indigo Blue said...

Lovely photos!! We are building up gradually to tackling the kitchen, that looks easier than I suspect it will be to actually do. I like watching Nigella's cook programmes over here they always make me hungery.

Anonymous said...

What a mammoth effort, and I love how the greens in the painting and frame enhance the painted wall. Love the 'effects'!!
Gorgeous rug, love the daisies and the real life roses too.
I had my first pomegranate a year or so ago and I'm hooked too!!

Nan said...

OK, now I am jealous, I did finally get my kitchen painted, but after seeing this lovely French wash effect.... oh... the green monster is trying to surface!

That second picture of your roses took my breath away, I had to stop and look at it for awhile before moving on, hearing of your heat and London's snow... makes me laugh the difference in weather is amazing. I am safely in the middle, not too hot, not to cold... just like baby bears porridge, well almost, just right. {I guess if I could choose it to be, I would like it a tad bit warmer}

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Your walls look lovely! A pomegranate tree sounds so exotic (which it is, for here, of course, but it's nice to see yours and know that it thrives).

magnusmog said...

the french wash is beautiful - you must have tons of patience:)

Anonymous said...

....And where was MY invite for dinner when the chicken sausages came out of the oven....hmmmm???

Love your Sis, "Da Queen of Quick!"

Katknit said...

You're a very accomplished photographer!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Love the walls and the punches of green are fantastic!

I find that home improvements tend to go slower than expected but are worth the effort!

Amybel said...

Oooooh, a pomegranate tree. I am so jealous!

smariek said...

Neato, I've never seen a pomogranate tree before.